Personal Representation to Help You Resolve Important Family Law Matters
The Law Offices of Paula D. Kleinman, A Professional Law Corporation

February 2016 Archives

Income taxes and child support concerns

Although payment or receipt of child support has little impact on the income tax return of a California parent, there are some tax-related issues to consider related to child custody. Unlike alimony, which can be deducted by the paying party, child support is not deductible. Similarly, the parent receiving child support does not need to report these funds as income. In the case of alimony, there is a requirement to report the received funds as income. As a parent considers tax deductions and credits for children, however, it is important to be clear about one's rights.

Custodial parents and child support payments

California parents who have physical custody of their children may appreciate the U.S. Department of Agriculture's estimate that it can cost up to $250,000 to raise a child from birth to adulthood. In 2014, approximately one-quarter of all children living in families were in households with only one parent. Many of these types of families rely significantly on support from the noncustodial parent.

Contact Us To Schedule Your Free Initial Consultation:

The Law Offices of Paula D. Kleinman, A Professional Law Corporation
380 South Melrose Drive
Suite 401
Vista, CA 92081

Toll Free: 877-620-7035
Phone: 760-542-6072
Fax: 760-301-0078
Vista Family Law Office

  • Hours: 7:30am-5:00pm
  • Evening & Weekend Appointments Available
  • After Hour Calls Taken
  • Follow us on Twitter: @AttnyKleinman
  • Like us on Facebook!