Personal Representation to Help You Resolve Important Family Law Matters
The Law Offices of Paula D. Kleinman, A Professional Law Corporation

April 2015 Archives

Parents who fail to pay child support could go to jail

When parents in California and across the nation are court ordered to pay child support and they get behind on their payments, they are often vulnerable to serving jail time. Society sometimes lacks sympathy for wealthy celebrities in this situation, but many working-class people are in the same predicament, and low-income men are more likely to be sent to jail. The New York Times reported that a jail time threat is frequently viewed as the reason some parents with a substantial income manage to become current on their child support payments.

Filing for child custody in California

When parents get a divorce, one or both of them may ask for joint or sole child custody rights. The case is generally filed in the child's home state. For legal purposes, the child's home state is the state where he or she has lived with a parent or certain other adults for at least six consecutive months. If a child is under six months old, the case can be filed in any state where he or she has lived.

Contact Us To Schedule Your Free Initial Consultation:

The Law Offices of Paula D. Kleinman, A Professional Law Corporation
380 South Melrose Drive
Suite 401
Vista, CA 92081

Toll Free: 877-620-7035
Phone: 760-542-6072
Fax: 760-301-0078
Vista Family Law Office

  • Hours: 7:30am-5:00pm
  • Evening & Weekend Appointments Available
  • After Hour Calls Taken
  • Follow us on Twitter: @AttnyKleinman
  • Like us on Facebook!